Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Victory Parade for Jesus



I had the opportunity to attend the Denver Broncos Super Bowl victory parade a few months ago.  Now let me be clear for the record, I am an avid Dallas Cowboys fan! However, I can appreciate another team having a great game or season and I am honest enough to say that my team is shall we say, “Championship Challenged” for the time being. So, I decided to attend the parade.

I must admit, it was a grand event. Estimates from the City of Denver were that over 1million people came out to cheer on their team and see their favorite sons, Peyton Manning, Von Miller, and the rest of their teammates.  The city went all out to plan an event for their Super Bowl Champions.  My son and I set out from my daughter’s apartment and as soon as we hit the street, there were people decked out in their Bronco’s gear literally coming from every direction. I overheard people discussing how they called in sick for the day so they could attend the parade. There were school aged children waving Broncos banners. Obviously they had been allowed to skip school for the day.  Some were on their lunch break.  Some drove in from the outlying suburbs and walked for blocks just to get a spot along the parade route in hopes of getting a glimpse of their favorite player.  Others came spilling out of downtown apartments, lofts, and office buildings. Everyone had one goal that day…cheer on their team. There were literally people everywhere.

My son and I were able to find a great spot along the route with an incredible view. My husband opted to go skiing; he's a die hard Alabama Crimson Tide fan...enough said. But as I stood there in the midst of a sea of orange and blue, I couldn’t help but wonder, "What if there was a victory parade for Jesus?" Would He attract the same type of crowd as the Super Bowl Champions? Would people come from everywhere by any means necessary to cheer Him on and get a glimpse as He passed by?  They did during His lifetime.

Everywhere Jesus went he was followed by what the gospel writers call “a great multitude.” They were awestruck by his teachings. They were amazed by the power He displayed and they wanted to hear from Him. Would we do the same?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with cheering on your favorite sports team or supporting your favorite entertainer.  But do you praise the one who died for you with the same vigor and enthusiasm?  Do people know you’re a part of His team?  Does your clothing represent you’re on His team?  Do people know from your conversation that you’re following Him?

Let us not keep Jesus hidden in the four walls of our homes or our places of worship. He is much too good for that. Let’s Celebrate Jesus today and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment